Thursday, January 14, 2010

When Life Seemed Simpler

I found this book, "When Life Seemed Simpler" by Welleran Poltarnees at an antique shop in Portland, OR while on vacation this Christmas. Although it is not an antique (it was published in 2007), I just had to have it! I could not resist the images, or the overall theory.

The book is actually the thesis of the author... his theory is that these schoolbooks from the 1930's, 40's and 50's "constitute a utopian vision." He goes on to say, "Utopias are imagined societies in which happiness is promoted by a more perfect arrangement of the details of living. They are useful because they give us perfections to aspire toward."
Although these pictures are far from reality, especially in 2010, I am so attracted to them.
Perhaps it's my own goal to make things a little simpler in my life.... not to get caught up in the day to day craziness of life, but enjoy the things that matter most... friends, family, health, happiness.

My mom has just gone through major surgery this week (planned, yet still very painful.) She has had both knees replaced! The recovery and rehab will be incredibly challenging, but the reward at the end will be amazing. To walk pain free-- be with her grandkids, travel, and enjoy life!

Her surgery has made me think a lot about simplifying things... letting go of the "I have to do this and I have to do that..." and fussing over my life, and instead, being there for her and the rest of my family.

When I look at the picture above, it's just how I want to spend a summer day... Of course the picture doesn't show what happens 5 minutes later, when the wave came up and soaked everyone, Sally dropped her hot dog in the sand and began to cry and the dog ran off after a seagull... but, hey that's life!

0 comments: